Monday, February 14, 2011

And I Thought I Was Done w/ Tacos

So my mind was stuck this afternoon because I was trying to decide exactly what the hell I am going to explore next in the culinary world. And it was bugging me, just driving me completely insane! I was watching television and every other commercial had tacos. I just finished a taco segment so I can't go back on that, that would just make me a one trick pony. But the universe just kept prodding me with the idea of tacos. When I finally got up the strength to go out of the house, I avoid Holiday traffic like the plague, I was going to the gas station and home. NO OTHER STOPS! And outside the gas station, boom TACO TRUCK! Are you kidding me universe? Of course I have to get some tacos now, its only the polite thing to do! The Montrose Caliente Taco Truck (I think that is its name... it has a yellow front and big bright light...) moves around a good bit but I have to say, track this sucker down (last spotted outside the West Alabama Ice House).




They are out of control tasty! Sure they have tortas and other things but in my mind, tacos al pastor is a thing of pure genius. These things were just what I was looking for tonight, and yes, I had to share the flavor profile because I am a kind hearted person. The molten "diablo" sauce they had next to the window was a simple reduction of fire roasted peppers, vinegar, and tomatoes but man did it have some kick. The cilantro was shaved just right and the onions, like always, added a textural twist to the creation that is very much welcome. They serve them with lemon here which is always a fun twist in my book and I have to say the corn tortillas are much better than the flour but thats just my personal opinion. Find this truck if you are in Houston, it is worth it!




The problem is, I still have no idea what I am going to tackle next but I have a feeling that my days with tacos are not done yet... I am already considering buying a little push cart and start peddling my own masterpieces around downtown. Who knows, might even make a few bucks but I have to think of a name for it first; right now I'm leaning towards "El Cerdo Feliz!!" Both exclamation points are a must if your name is going to be the happy pig! Let me know if you have any ideas for the next food adventure, continue to follow me on Twitter @ChefGrantKeaton and on Facebook, and stay tuned for more blogs. FOLLOW THE FLAVOR!

No comments:

Post a Comment